SEO is the process of optimizing a website for Google search with the goal of earning higher web traffic levels and improving the visibility of the site. The main aim of SEO is to rank higher in Google’s search engine results pages (SERPs) for targeted keywords. By doing so, SEO can help a website earn more organic traffic from Google and other search engines. SEO is a complex and ever-changing field, but there are a lot of different factors that go into ranking highly on search engines, and it can be easy to make mistakes that can hurt your ranking.
Here’s a list of the 20 most common SEO mistakes you should avoid.
- Not knowing where and what your audience is actually searching - how can you optimize for SEO if you don't even know what your audience is searching for.
- Not researching user queries - again if you don't know what people are searching for how do you optimize your site to be found for that query
- Lack of natural keyword targeting
- Not optimizing your location-based searches - optimizing for queries that have near me inside of them. They're very powerful terms and popular.
- Not fixing page titles and meta descriptions - these are important, not only for search engines but for users as well.
- Retaining old URL structures while revamping your site
- Placing informative text in images - Images should not be text heavy.
- Not following latest trends - Staying on top og trends to understand technological changes is imperative.
- Paying little attention to your website - when's the last time you updated it. You should always want to take care of your website
- Not using analytics to gauge conversion rates - It is important to understand user behavior with analytics, so make sure you have analytics integrated.
- Not conducting website audits at a regular intervals - you should be doing an audit at least once a month on your site
Buying backlinks - This is a big no no. Never buy backlinks
Focusing only on on-site SEO and not on off-site SEO - you should do on-site and off-site.
Taking SEO as a one-time activity - SEO is not a one-time activity and should be done regularly. From conducting an audit and fixing issues, to securing backlinks, and much more.
Not having clear and predefined SEO goals - if you don't know what your goals are you don't know what to achieve.
Not having knowledge about Google ranking factors and algorithm updates - you need to keep changing your SEO strategy based on upgrades and changes Google makes to its algorithm and ranking factors.
Not following the EAT and YMYL Factors of Google - read it really carefully and understand it because that is very important.
Not paying attention to content - Create quality content, targeting long tail keywords and serving user search intent.
Creating content only for robots - Your content needs to be optimized for users and search engines. If your content does not serve the users search intent, it will not rank.
Ignore UI and UX of your website pages - if you are not focused on page speed, UI and UX or user experience, user interface you will be penalized for it and your SEO will never really get anywhere.
So that was a brief list of 20 SEO mistakes to avoid. Subscribe to our blog to learn more about how you can handle each of these.